Tuesday, August 7, 2018

A record of a Dybbuk 1843 exorcised by Rav Dov Ber of Sadigura

At the end of a small volume, titled Darke Yosher by R. Moshe Yaakov Sharf, published in 1902, appears a record of a Dybbuk exorcism, which the author was present at. The Dybbuk appeared in the year 1843, at R. Dov Ber (Sadigura?). He writes how the dybbuk, being the soul of a Shochet, which fed the population non-kosher meat, entered the body of an 11 year old girl.
The following is from his description of the event:
שמעו ותחי נפשיכם..יכתת ואף להלוך על כפיו למקום המקודש הלזה ולחזות בנועם זיו קדושת אדמו"ר קדוש עליון שיתחדש כנשר נעוריו אשרי לי ואשרי חלקי שזכיתי לראות בעין ולשמוע באזני נוראות נפלאות הפלא..על אותם האנשים הנאהבים גם לי שידעתי שהמה כרוכים בחכמות כאלו המכחישים ענינים כאלו. חי ה כי רצוני לפדותם מני שחת
Translating as: "Listen, so that you may live.. each and every Jew should travel and even walk to this holy place and be able to see our great leader and master (R. Dovber), the holy one may he be blessed with the wellness of youth. Blessed am I and blessed is my lot, that I merited to see with my own eyes and hear with my ears, the great wonders... of this Dybbuk... I was bothered by those people, some of which I know, that are involved in beliefs that deny beliefs in such matters, I swear on G-d's name that I want to save them from eternal damnation."



1 comment:

  1. Based on the heading of the story, it seems to have been Rav Yissochor Ber of Radoschitz, who was famous for chasing Dybukkim. The letter says it was written in Radoschitz,in 1843, which (according to Geni) was the year when Rav Nochum Ber of Sadigura was born!

    ReplyDelete