Sunday, January 3, 2021

"My father, a great Rabbi", Imre Shalom (St Louis, 1943)

 "My father, a great Rabbi"

Great European Rabbis and their American children:
The author of Imre Shalom (St Louis, 1943), Rabbi Mordechai Leib Charney, a graduate of the Volozhin Yeshiva, received Semicha from the Netziv and served as Rabbi in Europe in several locals. Financial constraints forced him to immigrate to the United States, where he arrived in 1902, he served as Rabbi in Port Chester, NY for 29 years until his death in 1931.
He left 5 boys and 5 girls of which one of them, Sam Schwartz of Charlotte NC published posthumously this work. The greatness of the author can be seen by his correspondence in the sefer with the Oneg Yom Tov, Rav Chaim Berlin and other great Rabbis of the day. Alas, the generational gap between him and his children appears to be insurmountable. The tribute written to their father in the book, though loving and respectful, gives off the impression akin to someone viewing the pyramids with a telescope from a great distance.




"This book is published for those who care to study the deep meaning of the Jewish Law. It was written by my father, a great Rabbi. His life and the memory of his teachings, have always been a source of inspiration to me. Perhaps someone else will find inspiration and comfort in the knowledge set forth herein. If so, his life has been fruitful.
I am not just a dreamer, or a scholar. I am very much a realist - my only two sons are now in the army fighting for their country, but I am aware that dreams are still possible and dreamers do exist. And above the clouds of war, I dream that the sun is fighting to shine through and scholars will lay aside their guns and think and dream again.
It is my hope that this book will furnish much food for their thoughts and dreams.
Sam Schwartz"

No comments:

Post a Comment